Friday, June 17, 2011

Quirks

We all have them. I probably have a lion's share. But a few of them are really working for me in my journey to a healthier life.

I don't like to touch my food.

There. I said it. I can't stand touching my food when I'm eating, even things like pizza or burgers or fries. How does this help? Since I'm using a knife and fork any old way, I take the top bun off of any sandwich. I've done this before but never consistently. Those top-bun calories aren't much, but I don't miss them. Right now it's all about changing my habits to a comfortable, livable, healthy level, and if I don't miss that small bit, it's not likely to come back.

I don't like salad dressings.

Again, I've never liked them. As a result, I didn't eat salads very often. Now I use about a tablespoon of olive salad or tabbouleh for the dressing. Not a typical salad dressing, but it has great flavor, doesn't weigh the salad down, and it makes me much more likely to make the salads.

I don't make many fried foods.

I do make heavy foods. Or I did. But my many years working at a comedy club has mostly cured me of fried foods. Oh, I've definitely made unhealthy choices, but that isn't a regular one.

I do like to cook.

I like to experiment in the kitchen ~ much to my family's dismay at times ~ but I'm a creative cook. I'm not afraid of trying different things, and I am not intimidated by new foods.

I do like a combination of flavors.

I've been using that to my advantage, particularly in making my salads. I like a little unexpected flavor, like blueberries or pineapple or even chopped prunes in an otherwise savory salad. It allows me to add all sorts of vitamin-rich foods into one meal. Plus, it's just plain fun. I spend a good 30 minutes making my lunch most days, just looking through, seeing what I can find. I love it.

Changes are only going to stick if I can make them my strengths.

No comments:

Post a Comment