Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Weighing in

This week was rough. It really was. Not only was I baking cookies, but we also went to a birthday party where I succumbed to the temptation of focaccia bread. I'm not proud of it, but I did. And since then I've been working myself almost double-time to make up for it. Then to top it off, we had a Christmas party the very next day -- at a buffet!

So when I stepped on the scale this morning and saw a .4 pound loss, I was thrilled!!

I was telling a friend just yesterday that I am almost not even concerned with losing right now, during the holidays. I just don't want to gain!

After the birthday bread debacle, I decided to set some rules for myself before heading to that buffet.

  1. No cream sauces. This is easy because (for the most part) I'm not a fan. I do like gravy on potatoes though, so that's really where that fit in.
  2. Whole foods only. The biggie. If it is in its whole form, go for it. If not, exercise caution. I ate steak, green beans, cooked carrots, and a small helping of mashed potatoes. And of course, a salad. The green beans were sauteed and the carrots were buttered, but I am pleased with how I managed. 
  3. Eat mindfully. Be aware of what's going on the plate AND what it offers me nutritionally.
To be perfectly honest, those last two are how I eat every day. I just haven't been that careful at going out because we don't go to those sorts of places often enough for it to matter. Except now it seems as if everything matters, quite a bit, so I can't use my usual strategy of "anything is all right in moderation."

So here's to another fit week, navigating the calorie pitfalls.

Onward and downward!

1 comment:

  1. Those are awesome guidelines to follow! AND they paid off for you! Congrats on the downward!!!

    ReplyDelete