Monday, December 26, 2011

What 50 pounds looks like

Taken January 2009. This was my "this is it; I've had enough" moment. When I weighed in for the first time the next morning, the scale showed 237 pounds.

Taken the month before, at Christmas 2008. I wasn't ready to face reality then. Why a month made a difference is beyond me.

Taken the first weekend of December 2011. The scale has been sitting right at 187 (give or take a pound) since October.

Taken Christmas morning 2011. 

I'm not finished. Not a bit. I still have at least 40 pounds to go. But now that I'm this far, I'm realizing just how much work I've done, and looking through those old photos just solidified that. 

A friend who has lost over 100 pounds commented not long ago that she didn't want anyone to see her old photos. Ever. I considered that, and I've decided that I need those old, horrid photos. I hate them, but I do feel that I need them. I want to be able to look back and say that it IS possible to overcome those previous years of sloth and gluttony. It's just a matter of deciding to do so and educating yourself on how.


2 comments:

  1. You have done GREAT! I think looking at old photo's, while, embarrassing, and makes me feel ashamed of myself, are really helpful in reminding me how hard I have worked and how I NEVER want to go back to that place again. I keep an old photo of me in my car visor and in my purse. I NEVER want to forget the old me and how unhappy she was. Now I look at my old photos and feel proud of myself for the focus and determination I have for staying on my journey! I am so glad to be sharing your journey with you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jill. :) I never thought about keeping one in my purse. Right now I have my driver's license (taken at 220 pounds), but that's not something that I feel I can really GO to, you know? I'm going to send these to the Walgreens right now so I can keep them there.

    I don't know that shame is really the right word for me. Uncomfortable is more like it. I was uncomfortable in my skin, and it's uncomfortable NOW for me to look back and realize that I didn't bother to do anything about it.

    ReplyDelete