Friday, July 15, 2011

Sometimes I just have to laugh

Laugh and shake it off.

I've been focused on taking better care of myself for almost a year now, six months of that with a specific weight-loss goal in mind. I've lost just over 40 pounds. I feel better, more energetic, and I know what I'm doing. I feel stronger and smarter. I haven't really shared much with people because ... I just don't do that. I am a very private person, and I just don't feel comfortable with it.

However, it seems as if now people are noticing and commenting. While I love the "you look good!" comments, they still make me a little uncomfortable. And I could certainly do without the "don't you think you could do better/more if you would just [insert THEIR favorite sport/fad diet]." That's the part I have to shake off.

I don't play baseball because I DON'T LIKE IT.

I am not interested in the Atkins diet because I DON'T THINK IT'S GOOD FOR ME.

I don't run a 9-minute mile because I'M NOT READY.

I am not interested in having a shake for my meals because I FIND IT BORING.

Sheesh. Lay off already.

When people ask, I tell the truth -- that I've started walking regularly and paying attention to what I eat. I don't find it necessary to go into the details of how I got to that point, how I count calories for everything, how I walk and log my miles. It has been a long road I've walked (literally, in a way) to get rid of that 40 pounds.

I visited my family (500 miles away) last week, and quite honestly the best comment came from my uncle. He is ... honest. He is never intentionally hurtful, but occasionally his comments sting because he IS honest about what he says. I was standing talking to my aunt and uncle, and my aunt asked the "have you lost weight?" question that I dread. I replied, "A bit. I've started walking regularly, about 4 or 5 miles a day." (While 40 pounds is more than "a bit" of weight, I still have more to go for my goal, and I'd prefer not to get into that with other people.) My aunt went on a bit, gushing. My uncle just nodded his head and said, "Yep. That's the best way to go at it. It isn't fast and flashy, but you're more likely to stick with it." I think that's the best compliment I could have gotten.

I've found something that I enjoy doing, and that has made all the difference. I was walking 20 miles a week for months before I started changing my diet. I was losing very slowly, but more importantly, I was becoming aware of calories = energy and how it affects my body.

It's a journey, and everyone has his or her OWN path. Personally, I'd rather just have the slow-and-steady loss because I am afraid that "fast and flashy" will just make me crash and burn.

2 comments:

  1. BRAVO!!! I agree that people have to find what works for them in order to stay on track for the long haul. I agree with your method. Slow and steady. For me- this is a lifestyle change. I am not planning on seeing a certain number on the scale and then changing back to my old habits. It took me 3 years, but I lost 80 pounds. I still have things I need to work on and I still have struggles will food- so I suppose I am a work in progress. In my opinion you have chosen a very smart approach to this and will continue to have successes. Part of the journey does include setbacks. I think the setbacks are there as a teaching tool to teach us to think about what works and what doesn't. They help us grow! I look forward to following your journey!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! It just made me shake my head because I'm WELL on my way -- right at halfway to my goal -- so to have someone tell me NOW what I "ought to be doing" is laughable. Not that I get everything right. And I love reading/talking with others who are on or who have walked that same path, but to take advice from my always-thin or currently overweight relatives .... That just doesn't do it for me. Lol.

    But Jill -- 80 pounds! -- WOW! Have you kept it off? I'm doing it as a complete lifestyle change as well, so I hope to. Until I started counting calories, I didn't ever REALIZE how much I was consuming and not using every day. It is so silly and basic, but I DIDN'T!

    ReplyDelete