Thursday, November 3, 2011

Library victory

The people on the My Fitness Pal forums call them non-scale victories, but I'm not certain that I would like to adopt that term. It is certainly true, but it's a reminder of that dratted scale, which certainly isn't where we live out our lives. Perhaps we can think of a term together, but until then I'll just stick with the generic "victory" term.

Yesterday the urchins and I went to the library. This used to be a very, very common activity. We were there three or four times a week. Then they started remodeling. The sawdust and whatever construction-y stuff gave me a headache, plus they had blocked off entire sections from public use. Then one thing and another happened, and we had not been to the library in about 6 weeks or so. (I am cringing just writing that, but it is true.)

The library staff has done some rearranging in our absence. The shelves have been moved to accommodate some of the construction, and they are much closer together. MUCH closer. Here is a photo of my 9-year-old daughter in one of the rows.


I think looking at her feet illustrates it best. She wears a size 4 shoe. This wasn't even the tightest row, but it was one of the typical ones. Turning the corners on some I had to hug the shelf to get around it.

My victory? I wasn't worried about fitting in the rows. Fifty pounds ago I would have. And I honestly don't think I would have made it around some of those corners. Yesterday I was more worried about my purse and tote knocking the books off than I was about my body. It felt good.

1 comment:

  1. Very cool. I am all about celebrating things like that. I fit into some seats recently that I think before would have been pretty tight. :-) Go us!

    ReplyDelete