Thursday, August 4, 2011

Stepping on the scale

There is a huge debate in the weight-loss circles over something as simple as how often to weigh. It both annoys and amuses me. I don't see it as One True Answer For Everyone.

Some people can stress and obsess over it and have it become a distraction. For me, it is just the opposite. I find it motivating and helpful.

I weigh myself daily -- same time, same place, same type of clothing. The daily weight gets logged on the "personal stuff" calendar I have in my closet. For "official" weigh-in purposes, I only count Wednesday's weigh-in, but I log it daily.

How does this help?

-- I learned how much sodium DOES affect me. I can "gain" up to 2 pounds literally overnight after a high-sodium day. Even if I drink a significant amount of water.

-- I learned that my monthly cycle can affect me up to a week and a half before it actually begins.

-- I learned about normal fluctuations in weight by looking back and seeing patterns.

-- I learned that the number on the scale is JUST a number.

I log more than my weight. I log my mood and my schedule, so it gives me good idea of how everything fits together. Maybe it comes from my tendency to make lists, but a daily log keeps me focused in a way that weekly doesn't.

Several weeks ago I decided to listen to The Experts who say that daily weigh-ins are ridiculous. I actually did this on two different, non-consecutive weeks. During one week I stayed almost the same. I lost less than half a pound. During the other week I gained. I really think that the two minutes that it takes me to weigh, log, and jot notes is not just about a number on the scale; it's a two-minute time for me to evaluate and focus.

The Experts aren't always right, and I should learn not to second-guess myself.

2 comments:

  1. I keep reading both sides and I will just have to figure out how it works for me on my own. It is great that you can keep an objective outlook. I really think I have a mental thing about the numbers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's exactly what you should do. Figure out what works for YOU, which is probably not what works for someone else!

    I think it really helps that when I started, I honestly wasn't looking to lose a certain number of pounds. I wanted to avoid blood pressure medication, and I knew the easiest way to manage that was to get my butt off the rocker. Everything else came afterward, piece by piece. I didn't start weighing myself until after I noticed my clothes were loose. The missing pounds are a bonus for me, so maybe that's why it doesn't bother me as much.

    ReplyDelete