Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Banana Nut Muffins

I've been making this recipe for years (adapted from a now-out-of-print breads cookbook), so this week when I entered the recipe into the recipe calculator on My Fitness Pal I wasn't expecting good things. When it calculated to be only 112 calories per muffin, I squealed with delight!

The original recipe is as a loaf bread, but those tend to be messier for my little urchins, so I skip the loaf pan and put the batter into muffins instead.

Enjoy!

Banana Nut Muffins

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1 egg
4 tablespoons canola oil
1 large soft ripe (or overripe) banana (about 3/4 cup)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a large bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and sugar. Mix in pecans.

In a smaller bowl beat egg with milk and oil. Blend in banana. Add banana mixture to flour mixture.

Spoon batter into muffin cups and bake until done (about 25 minutes). Makes 24 regular sized muffins.

If you opt for the original loaf bread, the cooking time is about an 70 minutes.

1 comment:

  1. If only I had ripe bananas around. They get eaten so fast! Thanks for posting this. I love muffins!

    ReplyDelete