Friday, September 23, 2011

An odd sort of victory

I am a thrift store shopper. I love, love, love the thrifts. I love the "what can I find today" fun of it as well as the bargains, but I never bought clothing for myself there because the plus sizes are hard to find.

We have been moving things around at home, rearranging rooms, and cleaning out unnecessary stuff is part of that. So ... off to the thrift store with 4 bags of stuff. Our thrift gives a 15% off coupon to use in the store as part of the "thank you" for donating. So, of course, we had to use it.

My daughter was looking for a new pair of roller blades, and she found a few pair that she liked. While she sat down to try them on, I looked through the t-shirts I happened to be standing beside. I pulled out one that I liked but looked a little small for me. Size XL. Well, what the heck. The dressing room right there, so I decided to try it on to see how far I had to go.


Aside: Am I the only one who buys "goal clothing"?

I'll be darned. IT FIT. I couldn't believe it. It fit a little closer that I was used to, but I've always worn my clothing too big (so says my neighbor). I bought it, washed it, and wore it yesterday. And I felt perfectly comfortable.

When I started, all of my shirts were 3X, and I was moving into 4X. I had to give those away because they were falling off my shoulders, and I have been making do with some of my husband's old t-shirts in addition to the couple of respectable things I had gotten at the department store. (I didn't think I could get away with a "Come to the Dark Side; We Have Cookies" t-shirt while chatting around the coffee table at church.)

How strange is it that I am thrilled to be able to shop at the THRIFT STORE for my clothing! I am thrilled, I tell you. THRILLED! And I can (at least occasionally) wear normal XL shirts, not the just the ones from the plus side of the store!

SQUEE!!

1 comment:

  1. I love thrift store shopping! I went through so many clothing sizes during my weight loss it really was the only way I could afford clothes through the process. COGRATS on getting into that shirt! It is sooooo motivating!!!

    ReplyDelete