Thursday, September 8, 2011

Harsh reality

Maybe it's the "I'm back from vacation" slump. Maybe it's just laziness. Maybe it's because I've had multiple people mention how noticeable my weight loss is now. I'm not certain of the reason, but I've been feeling ... lax ... lately. Not on the nutrition really, but in not wanting to take the time, put in the effort of working out. Mid-loss crisis?

So this morning I decided to see where I really stand in the scheme of it all. I did some number-crunching this morning using the CDC website's BMI calculator.

Woooo. That was a huge dose of reality. I may be down almost 45 pounds from where I started, but I still need to lose almost 30 pounds MORE before I can get into the "overweight" category.

That's right. I was 75 pounds into the "obese" category when I started. I don't believe I had ever thought about it in those terms before, probably because I didn't want to see it or face it. And it might have seemed a little overwhelming. Or possibly a LOT. Now it seems a little more manageable since I'm looking at it from the "I've gotten this far" perspective, but still. That's a toddler-sized chunk of weight I need to lose to get there.

So ... I had been floundering and waffling without realizing it. Now the floundering is over, and I have a specific goal. The next hurdle is to get into the "overweight" BMI category, far enough out there that I'll have to work for it, but not far enough to be discouraging.

2 comments:

  1. You have to do this in a way that will be long lasting, so I think taking time to regroup is good. The numbers are motivating to me too! I wonder how long I can keep up the pace I am on though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes those numbers can be daunting. I might never have started if I had looked at it from that perspective. According to that website, my starting BMI was 42. 42! Of course, it could have been my wake-up call too. Who knows.

    Was your original intent to continue doing what you're doing now for the long term?

    I started small, walking 1 mile per day. Then I would walk 1 mile twice a day, then two miles at a time. Now my regular goal is 4 miles a day, which takes an hour. If I have time and motivation, I'll do more. I will add other things in, but that's my basis, which is long-term sustainable for me. Building from the ground up, I suppose.

    ReplyDelete